[chirp_users] FTDI Chipset driver bricking fake FTDI chips

Dennis Smith
Fri Oct 24 13:34:49 PDT 2014

If I brick a phone for example, it my still be possible to unbrick it. It
doesn't mean it's not bricked at some point. FTDI has just made me buy EVEN
MORE from China direct. FTDI's attitude stinks and shows nothing but greed
and an attitude of contempt. I have learnt from this that there are
alternatives IC's that are pin for pin compatible with there own PID and
VID codes that have their own drivers. So if I find I have a suspect
device, I will not be paying for a FTDI product, real or not. I will buy
those and more fakes.

So far I have purchased over 200 items over the last few years from China
knowing most were fakes. There were some items that I brought that work
much better or more to the spec advertised than the item they were
replicating. I have had a phone with better spec (measurable spec that is)
than the iphone it was a copy of. I wouldn't buy an iphone myself anyway, I
don't want DRM or closed source rubbish cluttering my shack. As it happens
there are many chips out there that do what FTDI chips do, and I will be
investigating those and if it means buying a batch of the next generation
FTDI cloned chips that perhaps have different PID and VID, possibly unused
by any other device? so be it. I'm not spending my money on real FTDI stuff
ever again.

What FTDI has done is irresponsible and unacceptable.

Dennis Smith
M1DLG