[chirp_users] FTDI Chipset driver bricking fake FTDI chips

Tom Morris
Fri Oct 24 13:23:51 PDT 2014

"Soft bricked" - bricked from a functional perspective, but recoverable
using software methods and common household interfaces.

"Hard bricked" - toast. replacement of parts, offboard programming of
EEPROM devices or use of JTAG ports required to recover.

The FTDI driver issue was a soft brick.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Jim MacKenzie <jim at photojim.ca> wrote:

> In my computer hobby, "bricked" has typically meant that the device has
> been
> rendered in a non-functional state.  This term is used even if the device
> might be salvageable, but typically it will take expert knowledge or
> significant bother to get it working again.  That is indeed the case here.
>
> Jim VE5EIS

Tom Morris, KG4CYX
Mad Scientist and Operations Manager, WDNA-FM 88.9 Miami - Serious Jazz!
786-228-7087
151.820 Megacycles