[chirp_users] New blind ham trying to use Chirp

Shaun
Wed Nov 26 10:03:23 PST 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Jason Polansky wrote:

> Thank you Jim. So Chirp won't work with my screen reader. Ugh! Do you
> know of any other programs that will?

   Jason, there are ways to use Chirp, though not as easily or directly.
Ham Radio and Vision  has a page that covers using Chirp for blind and
vision impaired hams.  In a nutshell, you use a spreadsheet, such as Excel
or OpenOffice Calc, to enter the details, then transfer that into Chirp.
Link:  http://www.hamradioandvision.com/chirp-channel-editing-program/

   Another option would be to use a bootable thumb drive with a live linux
distribution on it, such as Puppy Linux SpeakPup (which is customized for
blind and low vision users), or any other suitable distro.  If you
want or need help pursuing this, email me off-list at tesla at kiwigeek.com
and I'll see what we can come up with.

   73's,
    Shaun, K0PER

"The world we live in is but thickened light" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
|    ___ __ ___          |    "If you live to be a hundred, I want to    |
|     / /  /    /   /|   |      live to be a hundred  minus one day,     |
|    / /-- `-. /   /-|   |      So I never have to live without you"     |
|   / /__ ___//__ /  |   |             -- Winnie the Pooh --             |
|     @ kiwigeek.com     |                                               |