[chirp_users] UV-82 C Issue with work mode

Jim Unroe
Tue Nov 11 16:11:44 PST 2014

Hi Jamey,

CHIRP can only configure a radio to do the things it is capable of
doing. What the radio is capable of doing and what you expect it to be
capable of doing are not the same.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Jamey Gettys
<eastanolleefire at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have set up eight BAOFENG UV-82 C radios to use in my fire department. I
> have locked them down in CHIRP using the work mode settings. Here is what I
> have done:
>
> Advanced Settings
> -Dual Watch = Enabled
> -Dual Watch Priority = A
> -All menu's = Disabled
> -Single PTT= Enabled
>
> Work Mode Settings
> -Display =A
> -VFO/MR Mode = Channel
> -MR A Channel = 2
> -MR B Channel =1

The work mode settings don't lock anything. All they do is preset the
settings on this menu panel to a known state once the upload is
finished. They are all free to be changed. And once they are changed,
the only way to get them back is to manually put them back the way
they were or to upload to the radio again.

> The result is that both the "A" channel and "B" channel show on screen as
> expected. The users can change channel "A" with the up/Down buttons. The
> users can not tab down and change the "B" channel. They can press the  "Tab"
> button and the indicator arrow will go down to "B" and immediately return to
> the "A" channel.

This is how TDR works in this model. When TDR=ON and TDR-AB=A,
priority is always forced up to A. The user cannot "tab" down because
of this priority setting.

Baofeng/Pofung is doing away with TDR-AB function on other models. The
menu is still there but it basically does nothing. My guess is that it
is a matter of time before we see the same for the UV-82C.

> All this is perfect and what I wanted to happen. The
> problem/issue that I do not like is this:
> As radio traffic is being received on the "B" channel, the user can
> inadvertently press the up/down buttons and change the "B" channel. This is
> a huge issue because they can not change it back unless traffic is received
> on whatever channel they accidentally changed "B" to.

I have duplicated this here. I agree, this would not be a desired
thing to have happen.

> The "B" channel should not be allowed to change under these circumstances.
> If this were corrected, it would be a perfect set-up for us.

This is an issue with how the radio works, not an issue with how CHIRP works.

> Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

The only thing that I can think of that would allow the user to set B
back to the correct channel would be to set Dual Watch Priority = OFF.