[chirp_users] Change language from Chinese to English-Baofeng UV-5R

Jim Unroe
Thu May 22 02:43:52 PDT 2014

Mike,

It would seem that you used menu 40 to RESET your radio prior to adding
your repeater frequency. Menu 14 (VOICE) on the original UV-5R was either
ON or OFF. The default after a RESET is ON. A UV-5R with BFB251 firmware or
later, menu 14 has the choices of OFF, ENG (English) and CHI (Chinese). The
defalut after a reset is CHI.

Take a look at the  "Reference for UV-5R Menus"
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ (scroll down to "Menu Definitions - Detailed")

So as others have already pointed out, you can use menu 14 to take care of
this using the radios's keypad. To do this using CHIRP you would download
from your radio, access the Settings->Advanced Settings menu and set Voice
to English and then upload the change back to your radio.

Jim KC9HI