[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-82 Offset

Adam Brady
Wed May 14 08:16:46 PDT 2014

I was wondering if that was an issue.  It seems that I can see an Rx signal but not hear it with MR, but if I switch to VFO and put it in manually I do hear it.

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:08 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-82 Offset

Adam,

Both CHIRP and your radio are working correctly.

Menu 25 (SFT-D) and menu 26 (OFFSET) only have any meaning in VFO mode. They unnecessary in MR (channel) mode because the UV-5R and its variants (including the UV-82) does not use them in this mode. Instead, memory channels store both the direct RX and TX frequencies.

Visist the UV-82 home page on the miklor.com<http://miklor.com> website and look for "Menu Definitions - Detailed" to get a copy of the "Reference for UV-82 Menus". It explains the menus and shows when they are or are not active.

http://www.miklor.com/UV82/

CHIRP lets you enter memories into the spreadsheet editor using the shift direction and offset, but it actually does the math in the background and sends the required RX and TX frequencies to the radio.

To verify all is working as it should, select a display (A or B) in MR mode that has its Memory Display Format set to FREQuency (menu 21 or menu 22) and then select a channel that has been programmed for a repeater. The currently selected display should be showing the RX frequency. Now tap the [*SCAN] key to put the radio into "reverse" mode.. An "R" should appear in the upper status display and the any display with its MDF set to FREQ should be showing the programmed TX frequency. Tap the [*SCAN] key again to exit "reverse" mode.

In MR mode the "+-" symbol is displayed to indicate that the RX and TX frequencies are different. This would be true for a repeater channel with standard offset, a split channel with an odd offset, a cross-band channel or TX inhibited channel. A separate "+" or "-" indication is only available in VFO mode when menu 25 and menu 26 are valid.

Jim KC9HI