[chirp_users] Programing a Baofeng UV-82 with Chirp on osx 10.9.2

Christian Schwarz
Wed May 14 08:01:55 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

I’d like to know, if anybody managed to program the UV-82 using chirp (or the daily build 20140428) on osx 10.9.2. I read that one might or might not have to disable apple’s own driver for FTDI chipset. I’ve been googleing the topic for a few days now and have not found a way to make it work on my mbp. The system report will tell me that a USB-Serial Controller is there:

USB-Serial Controller:

  Product ID:	0x2303
  Vendor ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
  Version:	 3.00
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Prolific Technology Inc.
  Location ID:	0xfa130000 / 6
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	100

When I try to "download from radio” I have four choices in a dropdown menu, each of which will give me an error message:

- /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port			error: An error has occurred - Radio did not respond
- /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem				error: An error has occurred - could not open port /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: [Errno 16] Resource busy: 	'/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem'
- /dev/cu.NoZAP-PL2303-000013FA		error: Radio did not respond
- /dev/cu.usbserial 						error: Radio did not respond

Any ideas? I am using the USB programming cable from Baofeng, that came with the radio.

btw. under windows7 (installed on the mbp) it works like a charm.

Cheers,
Chris