[chirp_users] how to capture radio stream?

Jens J.
Thu Mar 27 20:40:22 PDT 2014

Look at the developers section of the twiki
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Developers

Check out the code, then look at some of the drivers, like yaesu, etc.

Some use portmon, but I dont like it personally.

Check out "free serial port monitor", which is free, but looks and feels almost exactly like eltima.

A note about usb serial. If your app is really interacting with a serial port (i.e., virtual com port), then you can probably see it with a serial port monitor.

Just fyi, While FTDI chips present serial "COM" ports (i.e., VCP drivers) to the OS which can be used by any application, some apps read/write data to the device using the D2XX api - which cannot be seen by serial port monitors hooking into the COM ports…

I have only seen a few apps do this. One of the more popular radio programming software suites out there does this ;)

________________________________
 From: bob <n612dw at gmail.com>
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:15 PM
Subject: [chirp_users] how to capture radio stream?

Hi guys,

I need an implementation for a FT-8000 but I may be the only one out there, so….

I thought I might be willing to invest some time into creating a driver as I need an excuse to fiddle with python anyway.  It’s just another language, and been writing code for 20 years.

To that end, it would seem to me that decoding/deciphering/analysis of the stream of bits and such is the real trick and mapping it to a structure that will work, ack, provide checksums etc.  need some sort of analyzer widget for usb serial ports.

So what do you guys use to capture/reverse engineer what the radio is downloading to chirp, and how to figure out how to spit it back in the right format?? … is it published (I think not).

To start that discussion, what tools/techniques do you use/recommend to capture/deciper the kibbles n bits emitted from a target radio?

I tried a tool from eltima that seemed to work nicely until the trial expired, and I cant afford 150 bucks for a full version.  Probably a boatload of other toolss out there than can help capture and break it up that will also allow one to send to fake acks etc.

-bob