[chirp_users] how to capture radio stream?

bob
Thu Mar 27 20:15:05 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I need an implementation for a FT-8000 but I may be the only one out there,
so..

I thought I might be willing to invest some time into creating a driver as I
need an excuse to fiddle with python anyway.  It's just another language,
and been writing code for 20 years.

To that end, it would seem to me that decoding/deciphering/analysis of the
stream of bits and such is the real trick and mapping it to a structure that
will work, ack, provide checksums etc.  need some sort of analyzer widget
for usb serial ports.

So what do you guys use to capture/reverse engineer what the radio is
downloading to chirp, and how to figure out how to spit it back in the right
format?? . is it published (I think not).

To start that discussion, what tools/techniques do you use/recommend to
capture/deciper the kibbles n bits emitted from a target radio?

I tried a tool from eltima that seemed to work nicely until the trial
expired, and I cant afford 150 bucks for a full version.  Probably a
boatload of other toolss out there than can help capture and break it up
that will also allow one to send to fake acks etc.

-bob