[chirp_users] blank in xp

Jim Unroe
Fri Jun 27 15:08:36 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Hubert Peery <w5gyx at allegiance.tv> wrote:

> I have made 3 disks and they all work on the win 7 machine.  The xp
> machine doesn’t have a usb boot just reads them. Have tried to use plop but
> doesn’t boot either. Did find that after leaving the xp on all night it had
> booted to the chirp program but hadn’t done so after 3 hours so don’t know
> how long it took or why so long.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hub W5GYX

Hub,

I agree with Jens. This is not really a CHIRP issue. CHIRP Live CD does not
boot to CHIRP. It boots to the desktop. After it does, you have to launch
CHIRP.

The CHIRP Live CD is based on Xubuntu 12.04. I would recommend that you
download a copy of it and make a live CD to see how it works. I would
expect it to behave the same way.

My CHIRP Live CD (actually Live USB flash drive) does not like my Nvidia
video card. It will not boot unless I hit the [TAB] key at the boot menu
and add the "nomodeset" kernel option to the list of default options. I had
the same experience with Ubuntu 12.04 and older version of Linux mint. You
may find that some other kernel option needs to be added to be compatible
with your hardware.