[chirp_users] Chirp on BeagleBone Black

Michael Dodds
Wed Jun 18 18:50:52 PDT 2014

My new Rev C BeagleBone Black arrived today and I decided to see if it
would run Chirp successfully. Short answer: yes it does :)

The Rev C version comes with 4 GB of onboard flash and comes
preinstalled with Debian 7.4 with an LXDE desktop. The older versions
came with Angstrom Linux and only had 2 GB onboard storage. You could
use one of those by loading Debian or Ubuntu on a 4GB or larger micro SD
card and booting from there.

The default user is debian and will sudo with no password, so it's not
the most secure setup, but that is easily changed if you like.

Here is how I did it:

Open up LXterm from the Accessories menu and type: sudo usermod -a -G
dialout debian
This adds the debian user to the dialout group so you have access to the
USB ports.

Then I cheated a bit: While in LXterm I did this: sudo apt-get install
chirp. This installs a truly ancient version of Chirp, but takes care of
all the dependencies for you. When it completes, type: apt-get remove
chirp. That removes the old version of chirp but leaves the dependencies.

Then download the latest version of Chirp (the tar.gz Linux source version)

 From LXterm, type: cd /home/debian/Downloads and hit enter. Then type:
tar -zxvf chirp* (no sudo needed here)
This will extract the tar.gz file into a directory under Downloads,
chirp-0.4.0 in my case.

Then from the file manager in the GUI, navigate to that directory and
double click on chirpw and click on execute in the dialog that pops up.
I'm not sure if there is a practical use for running it in the
BeagleBone, but it works every bit as well as my "real" Linux box does
and reads/writes just fine to all my radios, it's fun, and Linux has no
issues with the counterfeit Prolific USB programming cables.

I'm sure you could get fancy and actually install it, but it works just
fine without it.

73,
Mike

--

*Michael Dodds*
*1390 Excalibur Dr.*

“*Never worry about theory *
*as long as the machinery does*
*what it's supposed to do.” - Robert Heinlein*