[chirp_users] Download

Dennis Smith
Tue Jun 17 12:06:52 PDT 2014

Good question Paul, I can't see ad's (except those from 1 major
source) but those I have seen are designed to look like the download
you are looking for. They analyse the site that has agreed to host the
ad's and when it chooses the ad to display it does so using similar
style artwork and fonts to make you think the download you want is
theirs, leading you to a rogue site and a source of malware. The ad's
are often placed near the real download link and quite often have one
or two words "Download" or "Click here" or a picture with those words
on. The links are just a form of social engineering to make you
install malware.

I once asked someone to download VLC and couldn't recall the url, I
asked him to search for it, he used his choice of search engine
(different to the one I use) and he chose the first link on the page,
this turned out to be an ad, made to look like the rest of the search
results, further more the ad was for one of these sites that changed
the name of the download to the same as the URL used EG. It would
download a file called myfaveapp.exe if you changed the url to
xxxxxx.com/myfaveapp It didn't matter what the name was it still
worked even if the application was a made up name.

Dennis Smith
M1DLG