[chirp_users] Split PLs for UV-5RA

N4AOF
Wed Jan 29 22:18:29 PST 2014

On 29/01/2014 06:57, Richard Dillman wrote:

> I come to the brain trust with a vexing problem.
>
> I'm having trouble programming my UV-5RA for different send and receive
> PLs. I need to transmit 110.9Hz and receive 100.0Hz. I have entered the
> following in CHIRP:
>
> Tone Mode - Cross
> Tone - 110.9
> ToneSql - 100.0
> Cross Mode - Tone->Tone
>
> I then saved the file.
>
> On opening the file I find that the settings have reverted to:
>
> Tone Mode - TSQL
> Tone - 110.9
> ToneSql - 110.9
> Cross Mode - Tone->Tone
>
> I can key up the target repeater but of course can't hear it because the
> receive PL has changed to 110.9.
>
> I have read the information at:
>
> http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php
>
> but I seem to be missing something. I would be most grateful if someone
> would point out my error.
>
> Thanks,
>
> RD

To the best of my knowledge, Chirp can't do anything that the radio itself
cannot do.  I do not believe the UV-5R family of radios have any way to do
split tone.

One the other hand, there is NEVER any actual NEED to do split tone, because
there is NEVER any actual NEED to use a Rx Tone at all.

Just program the correct tone, and stop putting the radio into TSQL mode
because TSQL mode is totally unnecessary, you only need the tone on
transmit, there is no need to have activate ToneSQuelch on receive.