[chirp_users] Tone mode revisited

Jim Unroe
Thu Jan 23 13:59:16 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Milton Hywatt <mhywattt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not to drag this out more than it needed, I had one final observation.
> After verifying the tone mode for the Anytone AT-588UV should be set in
> Chirp as:
>
> "For RX using CTCSS and TX with no CTCSS (or DCS)...
>
> Tone Mode: Cross
> Tone: N/A
> ToneSql: {required CTCSS tone}
> Cross Mode: ->Tone "
>
> I opened the OEM software and in the column at the end of the row
> you can double click on for more advanced settings. Inside there is
> the Tone Mode setting allowing you to choose between Carrier and
> CTCSS/DCS. When the settings are as above in Chirp, when the radio
> is read from the OEM software the Tone Mode is still set to Carrier.
> I then set the Tone Mode to CTCSS/DCS and wrote back to the radio.
> So far so good. Just find it odd that I have to set that menu item using
> the OEM software to set the channel to CTCSS.

Milton,

No CTCSS (or DCS) is carrier. If you want CTCSS, you have to use my other
example.

Set up a channel you want using the OEM software. Upload that to your
radio. Then download from your radio to CHIRP. The way CHIRP has that
channel configured should be the way you would set CHIRP to get what you
want. If that doesn't work, then there is a bug and you should report it.