[chirp_users] Problems with Yaesu -- FT60 and FT-8800

Basil Copeland
Thu Jan 23 13:27:42 PST 2014

[I apologize if this is a duplicate post, but I sent it yesterday, and it
is not showing in the archives.  The response to my request to join the
list got sent to my Google "Promotions" box and I just now go around to
authenticating my request to join the list.]

I just purchased some Valley Enterprise/FTDI cables to program my Yeasu
radios (the two mentioned in the subject header, plus a VX-7) and so far am
0 for 2 getting Chirp to work in programming the two I tried (FT-60 and
FT-8800), with the same result for both: Chirp would READ from the radio
fine, and create a "spreadsheet" based on what it read; but when I try to
WRITE to the radio, the screen blinks a rapid succession of (apparently)
windows, with a final error message saying something about being unable to
"read echo" and then "bad cable?"

Well, I think we can rule out "bad cable?" as I grabbed a copy of Commander
for the FT-60 and it was able to read and write to the FT-60 flawlessly,
using the same FTDI chip cable that Chirp balked with.

I'd much prefer to minimize the different kinds of software I have to use
to program my radios, hence my interest in Chirp.  I have used it
successfully with Baofeng UV-5R radios.  I'd love to see support for the
Quansheng TG-UV2 (what's up with that, BTW...from reading the Wiki, seem to
be plenty of people wanting support for it, and offering to lend radios),
but I've got the Chinese software working for it, so there's that.  Next up
is to figure out how to program a Tonfa UV-985 (which I would imagine is
nowhere on Chirp's horizon, though I've read that it has been programmed
with Chirp and a UV-5R BFB-293 image file, so I may try that).

Meanwhile, back to the Yaesu radios.  If it matters, I'm using Windows 7,
and a recent daily build of Chirp (20140102).

Basil
KE5GAE