[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R Frequency mod

Milton Hywatt
Wed Jan 8 13:00:35 PST 2014

There are tuned circuits and networks in the radio both
transmit and receive that won't allow much wiggle room
out of band. The PLL might tune the channels but because
the radio is designed to reject out of band signals, filtering
and tuning the circuitry must occur to reject intermod and ACI
on receive and transmit spurs. I wouldn't waste my time.

________________________________
 From: Tom Farrell <farrell at visi.com>
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Cc: farrell at visi.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:43 PM
Subject: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R Frequency mod

Hello,

I would like to open all the frequencies on my Baofeng
UV-5R to allow me to program in from 10MHz-999MHz in the CHIRP application. I understand most of not all of these frequencies will not work but it might give me a few extra frequencies around the
working bands.

From http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-220.html

Bench testing has shown the actual  transmit range of an expanded 150/450
MHz UV-5R to be:

VHF range 136 - 174 MHz   expands to   127.8 - 176.0 MHz
UHF range 400 - 520 MHz   expands to   383.5 - 524.3
MHz

Outside of that range, the radio would either not transmit or was unstable.
Receiver coverage drops off sharply to zero outside the
factory specified range.

I followed the instructions below from: Baofeng UV-5R: Extreme Receive Modification:
http://www.brickolore.com/2012/05/baofeng-uv-5r-extreme-receive.html

1) Open the library.zip file located in your C:\Program Files\CHIRP\
directory
(location may slightly differ based on your flavor of windows, but you get the
idea).
2) Enter the Chirp folder inside the library.zip
3) Delete the
UV5R.pyo file from the zip
4) Add the UV5R.pyo file (if it's named uv5r.pyc,
rename it to .pyo before placing it in the zip file)
5) Save the modified
library.zip
6) Open chirp and on the radio selection popup, select the Vendor
"Baofeng Hack"
7) Program your radio as desired (be aware of the radio chip
limits)

I was able to download the UV5R.pyo file but cannot locate the  library.zip file located in the C:\Program Files\CHIRP\
directory.  Has the library.zip file name changed or has the Chirp been programmed to not allow for this modification anymore?  Could
someone send me the library.zip or the new file or tell me how to make this Baofeng UV-5R Frequency mod?

Thanks,
Tom
farrell at visi.com

--