[chirp_users] Windows 8

Milton Hywatt
Mon Feb 10 13:56:18 PST 2014

You will have a few COM ports that are written to the registry that
may not have been used in years yet still prevent the automatic
driver assignment. You can use Jim Mitchell's cabletest utility that
will read the list of COM ports and check for a cable. When it comes
upon an empty port it advises "invalid port" and that port can be over written
by a manual driver install. I've done it with many older programs that don't
address COM ports over 8 and I have a cable that got COM 9. Since I know
what ports my other equipment occupy I just install the driver and choose a
"invalid port" and tell the driver install to yes, use this port when it complains
if it's already in use.

________________________________
 From: Mike va3mw <va3mw at portcredit.net>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Windows 8

Here is how delete your old ports that are left over from other adapters.
	1. Click Start
	2. Click Run
	3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
	4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
	5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
	6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
	7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
	8. Click Show Hidden Devices
	9. Click on the + sign next to the Ports to see the full list of Com ports being used
	10. Highlight the port you wish to delete and then press delete
Mike va3mw