[chirp_users] NC Hams using chirp

Ted Wrobel
Tue Apr 22 10:50:19 PDT 2014

Folks, the OPC-1797 cable does not connect to the data pins on the 92AD.
Thus, unless you can find some leaping electrons, you cannot use it to
program / control the radio. Many of us tried, always wishing to avoid the
awful price if the 1799.

I did a lot of searching and think I found the proper Hirose connector - at
least as close as I could mike the dimensions. However the cost of that
connector was $12.95 plus shipping and the catalog said that it required
special tooling to assemble. The OPC-1799 started to look pretty cheap.

73
Ted
W1GRI

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:44 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] NC Hams using chirp

> well the program tested the cable and said it is working just fine. I
> tested it both with and without the opc-1797 cable attached with the
> same results. So that would seem to indicate a problem with the radio or
chirp.

The cable you need to use with the 92AD would fail a loopback test because
it's not a looped cable. If that test passes, then I'd expect you're using
an OPC-478 and the bayonet adapter to connect it. If so, that won't work
with CHIRP. CHIRP talks to the 92AD in live high-speed mode, which doesn't
require going into clone mode, and which won't work with the OPC-478.

See the entry for the 92AD on the CableGuide page:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide#IC-91AD-IC-92AD-ID
-1

--Dan

-----