[chirp_users] CHIRP UNBricked my Wouxun

John Kellas
Mon Apr 7 14:32:37 PDT 2014

A few years ago, I was programming some Wouxun UVD1P radios using either
the factory software, or UVD Commander. Not paying attention, I
inadvertently connected my VHF only Wouxun KG-816 and programmed it with
the wrong software that contained UHF frequencies. When it rebooted, it
only spoke chinese, and would only display 400mHz. I treid to recover it
using factory reset, the out of band hack, and the OEM software, to no
avail. So I put it in a drawer to be used for parts.

Today I was programming another KG-816, so for the heck of it, I connected
the bricked unit to see what would happen if I tried CHIRP. When it
rebooted, it was back to speaking English, with all the VHF channels
restored.

I recall there seems to be a problem with US Versions of the UVD-1P. As
that problem has not been seen in International Versions, I've always
suspected it's due to the out of band hack. Anyway, whether CHIRP can help
with that or not, it certainly seemed to achieve the ability to unbrick my
816, so maybe it can help with other bricked models as well.

Regards,
John