[chirp_users] Baofeng uv-5r plus not able to read from

ALAN
Mon Oct 21 15:28:41 PDT 2013

Hi all, PLEASE SAVE this message: WHY ???
I went through a week of no sleep and pulling my hair out !!!!! Over the cable issue. Good thing that
 I bought two cables. One did not work. So remember the FTDI cable works for other projects that you might use down the road !!! I was lucky, you might not be so lucky. The info below is !great! advice.
All the Best
Alan
On Wed, 10/16/13, Dave Nathanson <KG6ZJO at nathanson.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng uv-5r plus not able to read from
 To: "Paul Plasters" <wa9ffl at yahoo.com>, "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
 Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 9:32 PM

 Hi Paul,It seems that
 almost all communications errors and "no reply from
 radio" are a cable problem. Or more specifically a
 problem with the software that makes the cable work. One way
 to sidestep almost all of those problems is to get a USB to
 serial cable with a FTDI chip in it, then use the matching
 FTDI software to make it go.
 Guide to programming cables
 http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

 I'm not saying any cable vendor is better or worse, but
 I bought my FTDI cable fromhttp://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/programming-cables-c-25_45.html
 I used the FTDI software driver linked at the top
 of this page (Mac, Windows & Linux drivers are all
 there):http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MacOS_Tips
 Alternately, if you have the extremely common
 Prolific cable (or more likely a counterfeit and/or
 “Generic”) you'll need to make sure you get the
 driver that will actually work, which is not necessarily the
 current driver from Prolific. That has been mentioned here
 recently, and If the cable is "Prolific based 2303
 chip the proper tried and true driver is build 3.2.0.0.
 Others may work but this is what we all use for Prolific
 2303 and Win7." (Milton's words)
 Also check this link for "Drivers
 & USB Cables". http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
 Other common problems mentioned frequently here
 are cables that don't quite fit all the way in, and this
 can be the fault of either the radio trim, or the cable end.
 Careful inspection ought to help figure out if it is a good
 idea to fix that by removing some material from the cable or
 radio housing. It depends.
 Other than that, what are the symptoms of the
 problem you see?
 Best, Dave Nathanson
 On Oct 16, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Paul Plasters <wa9ffl at yahoo.com>