[chirp_users] Baofeng uv-5r plus not able to read from

Dave Nathanson
Wed Oct 16 19:32:17 PDT 2013

Hi Paul,
It seems that almost all communications errors and "no reply from radio" are a cable problem. Or more specifically a problem with the software that makes the cable work. One way to sidestep almost all of those problems is to get a USB to serial cable with a FTDI chip in it, then use the matching FTDI software to make it go.

Guide to programming cables
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

I'm not saying any cable vendor is better or worse, but I bought my FTDI cable from
http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/programming-cables-c-25_45.html

I used the FTDI software driver linked at the top of this page (Mac, Windows & Linux drivers are all there):
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MacOS_Tips

Alternately, if you have the extremely common Prolific cable (or more likely a counterfeit and/or “Generic”) you'll need to make sure you get the driver that will actually work, which is not necessarily the current driver from Prolific. That has been mentioned here recently, and If the cable is "Prolific based 2303 chip the proper tried and true driver is build 3.2.0.0. Others may work but this is what we all use for Prolific 2303 and Win7." (Milton's words)

Also check this link for "Drivers & USB Cables".
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Other common problems mentioned frequently here are cables that don't quite fit all the way in, and this can be the fault of either the radio trim, or the cable end. Careful inspection ought to help figure out if it is a good idea to fix that by removing some material from the cable or radio housing. It depends.

Other than that, what are the symptoms of the problem you see?

Best,
 Dave Nathanson