[chirp_users] Tim at Yaesu Tech Support warns against Chirp, recommends RT Systems products

Dan Smith
Sat Oct 19 08:42:50 PDT 2013

> One thing about their cord construction is it is using two wires
> only.

More than half of all the radios that chirp supports use two-wire
communication (all Icoms, Alincos, most Yaesus).

> Is there no error correction for the data

What does error correction have to do with how many wires are being
used? No radio (or serial device) I've ever seen uses actual error
*correction* over the line. However, several do employ error *detection*
through the use of checksums. All Icom radios provide this, but only a
sprinkling of the other radios do.

> or is it being written in half duplex or just how exactly does serial
> data flow over two wires. ?

The TX and RX lines are tied together, which means that when either side
transmits, they see their own data reflected back. It is indeed half
duplex, and requires either end to "chew up" these echoes in order to
read a subsequent response from the other side. It's a fairly common
thing for simple serial devices. All the CAT bus radios do it this way,
for example. If you have a big HF rig that communicates with an amp or
an antenna tuner, it's doing the same thing.

It's kinda funny to spend $60 for an OEM programming cable that only has
two wires inside, huh? :)