[chirp_users] Tim at Yaesu Tech Support warns against Chirp, recommends RT Systems products

Milton Hywatt
Sat Oct 19 04:03:24 PDT 2013

Chirp also writes much slower to the Anytone AT-5888UV than the factory software.

One thing about their cord construction is it is using two wires only. Is there no error
correction for the data or is it being written in half duplex or just how exactly does

serial data flow over two wires. ?

________________________________
 From: Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tim at Yaesu Tech Support warns against Chirp, recommends RT Systems products

> Fun fact, chirp is slower than the RT Systems software to program so
> clearly it isn't like we are overheating some component by talking
> to fast or anything stupid like that.

Yeah, good point. This is an artifact of the fact that CHIRP uses a
single routine (or variation of it) to program the VX-series handhelds.
Yaesus implement no flow control on the line, and they can't accept data
at the full line speed (unlike Icoms, Kenwoods, Alincos and all the
Chinese radios I've seen). This means that we end up writing data to the
radio at the lowest common speed that all of them will accept, which is
slower than an application tuned specifically for one model would.