[chirp_users] UV-B6 : howto get into programming mode

Milton Hywatt
Fri Oct 4 15:12:45 PDT 2013

Most of the Baofeng and Wouxun do not need a programming mode.
And if the UV-6B follows tradition, the guts are likely very similar or identical
to the UV-5R. And that radio does not need a programming mode. I have one UV-5R,
two Wouxun UV-6D and two Anytone AT-5888UV none require a programming mode.
There are recommended drivers for Prolific based cables. You can find them at Miklor.
Make sure you use them as they are tried and true. You may have trouble with other driver
builds either earlier or later than what we all recommend. And make sure your cable is
plugged firmly into the radio. That issue has come up from time to time. And when you
unplug the cable. grasp the plug and stay away from the cable, they have been known to
fail after awhile. Some external mics have a warning tag saying pull the plug only.
But from my reading I'd say having the correct driver version is 99% of the problems
people have.

Milton

________________________________
 From: eMyListsDDg <emylistsddg at gmail.com>
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2013 5:49 PM
Subject: [chirp_users] UV-B6 : howto get into programming mode

Hello ,

totally new to this world, so hang with me a bit.

i purchased the UV-B6 the other day. never could get the PL-2303 driver to work on Win7. the cd that came with the cable didn't only had drivers for XP & Vista. tried Vista driver too. downloaded   1.1.19 driver, that didn't work under Win7 either.

so i fired up an old XP notebook, and poof, the XP PL driver installed and is working and i have Chirp installed on that machine too.

i'm trying to initiate a download so i can create my first template. didn't even know to do that if i hadn't gone to this site:  http://www.miklor.com/UVB5/UVB5-CHIRP.php

of course now the Chirp sw is returning the radio didn't ack programming mode. my eyes just don't see anywhere in the manual that came with the UV-B6 what key-combo? needed to put this unit in programming mode.

is there like a wiki for "uv-b6 dummies" or something that would help me get started?

tia

--
Bill
Key fingerprint = DB4D 251B FE8A BDCD 2BE4  E889 13F1 78D0 A386 B32B