[chirp_users] Icom IC-T90A: Rolling an OPC-478 cable with a CP-2102 USB board

Chris Suleske
Fri Nov 29 01:00:18 PST 2013

I've successfully made cables for both a Baofeng UV-3R and UV-5R using a
CP-2102 USB board.  Total cash outlay for each, about $3.

Now I'm moving on to my real radio, an Icom IC-T90A.  I found the following
info:

http://highfields-arc.co.uk/constructors/other/opc478.htm#usb

But it has not produced fruit with the Icom CS-T90A software.
 Specifically, it errors "Cannot access COM port."  If I remove the cable /
diode from the header and jump TX and RX pins together, the CS-T90A
software responds differently, indicating "No answer from the transceiver."
 So, I know the software and the CP-2102 are talking.  There's a note in
the instructions above about connecting the CTS and RTS pins together...
which I can't do on the 2102 board I have.  The pins are on the IC of
course, but not connected to anything on the board.  The diode I used
appears to be good and electrically, the cable seems sound.  Any ideas?

BTW, I found a treasure trove of info on T90A programming, courtesy of Eric
Behr at NIU.  I plan do dig into the following when I have a little more
time:

http://www.math.niu.edu/~behr/Ham/Files/ic90memory.pdf

http://www.math.niu.edu/~behr/Ham/Files/Icom_T90A-Memory_Map.pdf

I would love to be able to easily port all the frequencies between my rig
and my sons' rigs.

Chris, W1CAS