[chirp_users] Beginner's Guide question

Mike Agner
Mon Nov 25 14:22:39 PST 2013

Actually Bob that's really 2 separate issues. I'll let the CHIRP
developers comment on putting context (by radio) help into the
software.  That's a long way off in any case - the wiki has to be
greatly enhanced, first, before that could even be considered. It does
make sense to me, however.

What I was referring to was the way each radio in the wiki would link to
the pool of pages. A simple example would be a radio that updates in
live mode (and we just saw such an example recently on this list).  We
would have 1 page (or 1 set of pages) each for uploading, downloading
and editing a radio's template (image file). Now if that radio was a
live mode one, you don't upload data to it, so the uploading page would
not be linked. It would only have links to downloading and editing.
There would have to be a note on that radio's page that it was a live
mode radio, and that you would need to do a CSV export to save the data
you uploaded.

Another simple example would be if because of some limitation, CHIRP
could not import EVE files for a particular radio. Then in the list of
import formats on that radio's page, the EVE page would not be linked.

This is what is meant by selecting pages to be linked from a common
pool. If a particular function isn't available for some reason, there
should be no link to it.

Mike
==============================================================================================================
On Sat, Robert Terzi wrote:
 >/Once all that is done, then each model of radio can point to the
page(s) />/that apply to it, and ignore those that don't.
/I'm not sure if you are just talking about the organization of the wiki
pages, or links from the radio specific (driver) code to launch the
correct page on the wiki. However, the later is something I've thought
about a little, but never suggested because I didn't think there would
be enough critical mass in documentation. It could be helpful if from
Chirp there was the possibility to launch a radio specific web page on
the wiki for help: - before starting the download from radio - before
starting the upload to the radio - after a download or upload has failed
for troubleshooting advice The help menu should also have an entry to
launch the radio specific wiki help page. This means there should be a
little planning in how the wiki pages are named. There should be (some)
correlation to the radio driver since it will have to generate the URL.
The radio specific pages on the wiki should be in their own name space.
I don't know what redmine's capabilities are, the "name space" could be
as simple as prepending a prefix like "Radio-" for all of the radio
specific help template pages. The rationale for this that I believe many
people will attempt to use the software before looking for or reading
any documentation. --Rob

---