[chirp_users] Offset on a Baofeng uv-82

Jim Unroe
Fri Nov 8 14:16:41 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Joe Tittiger <joe at tittiger.com> wrote:

>  I am very new to this so please bear with me.....

Welcome Joe

> I was programming a local repeater with the daily build of CHIRP, setting
> the off set to +.
> But when I go into the menu system the offset (menu item 25 - SFT-D) is
> always set to off. Not + as
> I set it in chirp. I can manually make the change to a  + offset.  (I do
> get broadcasts from the repeater so all seems well)

The Baofeng UV-82 does not store or use SFT-D or OFFSET in its memory
channel layout. For this reason menu 25 and menu 26 are invalid in MR
(frequency) mode of the UV-82. In other words, these menus can not be used
to display or change a channels SFT-D or OFFSET setting because there is
none in the memory channel to be changed. The radios stores the RX
frequency and the TX frequency and therefor does not need to save the shift
direction or offset amount.

See the "Reverence for UV-5R Menus" (the UV-82 menus are nearly all the
same as the UV-5R)
http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/UV-5R%20Menus.pdf

> I also set the offset (menu item 26 - OFFSET ) to 0.600 MHZ in CHIRP  but
> it is always 0.00 and will not manually take a
> change.

See above.

> Is there a bug in this build?  Very perplexing as to what is going on.

No bugs. CHIRP takes your Duples and Offset settings, does the math in the
background and sends the RX frequency and TX frequency to the radio. This
is how the radio works.

> Any help much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Joe

Since a channel does not store a + or - shift direction (see above), it
displays "+-" in the upper status display whenever the TX frequency is
different from the RX frequency. That would be memory channels programmed
for repeaters, split frequency, cross-band and TX inhibited.