[chirp_users] Downloading and installing

Jim Unroe
Thu Nov 7 14:02:42 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Sherrill Williams
<sherwwi at carolina.rr.com>wrote:

> Thanks, I used the disk copy program that was downloaded with the program.
> This installed the data onto my dvd (I did a cd first) but then did not run
> the program.  I turned off the computer as directed first and then
> restarted
> it with the disk in the drive (I have the auto start option turned on).
> Nothing happened, so I manually looked at the files on the disk and could
> find no way to run the program.

If you downloaded the .exe version of CHIRP LiveCD, then it will burn the
image to create a bootable CD. If you downloaded the .iso verson of CHIRP
LiveCD, then you have to use some other software like ImgBurn (
http://www.imgburn.com/) to "burn" the image to a CD or UNetbootin (
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to "burn" the image to a USB flash
memory.

Once you have a bootable CD or flash memory, you have to go into your
computer's BIOS to enable booting from a CD or USB flash drive. This varies
from computer to computer but it mostly entails arranging the boot order so
that the CD drive or USB flash drive is listed before the hard drive.