[chirp_users] UV-B5 Limiting frequency entry

Jim Unroe
Tue May 28 18:08:42 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM, nv7v nv7v <nv7v at burgoyne.com> wrote:
>
>> With the UV-5R you can enter frequency limits with CHIRP so the user can't
>> enter anything outside those limits manually in VFO mode.  You can still
>> program in frequencies outside those limits with CHIRP and upload them to
>> the radio.
>>
>> This is very useful as you can set the radio up for a Ham that may also
>> have need
>> to use the radio on other services for which they are authorized without
>> worrying
>> he may inadvertently transmit or enter and transmit on a frequency he
>> should not.
>>
>> If I enter in frequency limits in the "settings" section in CHIRP for the
>> UV-B5, however, it
>> then will not allow any frequencies outside those frequency limits to be
>> programmed
>> into memories using CHIRP or manually in VFO mode.
>>
>> Is this a limit of the radio or is it possible CHIRP could be changed to
>> work like it
>> does with the UV-5R?
>>
>> Thanks so much for your excellent work!!
>>
>> Steve NV7V
>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> You are correct. This is a very useful feature on the UV-5R.
>
> I haven't determined if this is possible on the UV-B5 yet. The OEM
> software does have 6 different frequency range settings. Whenever I change
> to a different range setting, it erases all of the channels and CHIRP no
> longer wants to work with my radio (the ident changes or something). I
> haven't had time to dig into it any further.
>
> Jim KC9HI

Steve,

I did some testing today. I have 93 channels programmed into my UV-B5. I
modified my CHIRP image file to set the band limits to 144-148 MHz and
430-450 MHz. After uploading this customized image to my radio, only the
channels with frequencies within those limits were accessible. It was
evident that the radio accepted all of the out-of-band channels because I
was able to retrieve them all by using CHIRP and the Baofeng software.

So being able to set band limits might be useful to someone wanting to set
the band limits to limit the TX _and_ RX frequency range (for example to
make the UV-B5 a "ham only" rig), but it appears that is is not capable of
the functionality that the UV-5R provides.