[chirp_users] new user, unable to connect to FT-7800 on a MAC

chirp.cordless at xoxy.net
Tue May 14 12:40:43 PDT 2013

Since you got the cable from Valley, it's almost certainly an FTDI chipset.
The Prolific driver is completely useless for this cable.
As I've learned from others on this group (Thanks Robert Terzi):

> The RT Systems cables I've seen are made with FTDI chips.  However they
> install a custom USB Vendor ID and Product ID (VID & PID) on them, so they
> aren't recognized by the generic FTDI virtual com port drivers.

I've got a Mac and one RT systems cable (FT-60) and one Valley cable
(FT-8800). Your most direct path to a working solution is to get the generic
FTDI driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

It's possible to edit the Info.plist file in either the RT systems driver to
work with a Valley cable, or in the FTDI driver to work with an RT systems
cable, which I've done with my FT-60 cable, so I don't need both drivers
installed (and I have a third FTDI cable unrelated to radios)). But you
have to know what you're doing with plists and vid/pids, and have
the motivation/need to do it.

The FAQ page that David referenced doesn't mention the generic FTDI
driver, and IMHO it should.

-dan