[chirp_users] Programming Question for Baofeng UV-5R Radio

Jim Unroe
Tue Mar 12 14:20:44 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Bill Hand <billtbyhand at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.****
>
> I’ve got what is probably a very basic question, but I’m not sure how to
> solve it.****
>
> At work we have Black Box 2-way UHF Radios with the following settings.***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> Receive Frequency:          464.xxxxx Mhz****
>
> CTS/DTS Decode:              100.0****
>
> 2T Decode:                       None****
>
> Transmit Frequency:         469.xxxxx Mhz****
>
> CTS/DTS Encode               100.0****
>
> 2T Encode:                       None****
>
> Beat Shift:                        No****
>
> Scan Add:                         Yes****
>
> Busy Lock:                        None****
>
> PPT ID:                             Off****
>
> Wide/Narrow:                   Wide****
>
> ** **
>
> I am trying to program a BaoFeng UV-5R radio to work with our 2-way radio
> system.  The question I have is what/where do I specify the CTS/DTS
> Decode/Encode values?****
>
> Also, any idea what the other settings in CHIRP should likely be set as
> (besides the frequency)****
>
> Thanks a million for your help.****
>
> ** **
>

> Hi Bill,
If you haven't already, visit the Miklor website http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/
Once you arrive there visit the CHIRP Software & FAQs page. There you will
find a CHIRP Guide that attempts to explain how the columns are used
relative to the UV-5R and how they interelate to one another.

Something else you should know, is that you never have to program a receive
CTCSS tone. So in this case Tone Mode could be Tone and Tone could be 100.0
and all will be good. But if you want to use both TX and RX CTCSS, you
should be able to figure that out using the guide.

Assuming that you are in the USA, another thing I might mention is that
unless I am missing something, your radio system at work should have been
switched to narrow band by the 1st of this year. So you might want to check
that out with the person responsible with that system. Anyway to be
compliant with the new FCC rules, you would want to set the Mode for the
UV-5R to NFM.
Jim