[chirp_users] VX-6R Problems

Tom Hayward
Tue Mar 12 08:57:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Brad Rupp <bradrupp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use Chirp to program my Yaesu VX-6R HT.  I have two
> problems with the VX-6R.
>
> 1) I cannot import a CSV file to my VX-6R image in Chirp.  When I try to
> import the CSV, it appears to succeed, but none of the new memory
> locations are put into the image file.  Note, I have 24 memories in the
> image and am trying to import 100+ memories that exist in various ranges
> (1-24, 200-250, 300-325, etc.) in the CSV.
>
> 2) When I write the memories to the the VX-6R, the memories are all
> unmasked (hidden) except the memories that existed before the write.  If
> I manually mask (show) the memories and then use Chirp to write the
> memories again, they revert back to being unmasked (hidden).  I know the
> new memories are there.  I just can't see them.

I can't tell if you're just having trouble understanding what you're
seeing, or if there is a bug. There is no such thing as "unmasked
(hidden)". When a memory is masked, is shows gray in Chirp and cannot
be recalled on the VX6. Normal memories are "unmasked" and can be
recalled on the VX6. You are using the terms opposite of what they
mean. When you delete an active memory in Chirp, it first masks it
(appears in gray), then if deleted again will completely erase the
channel. Editing a gray/masked channel will return it to active.

When you make changes on the VX6 and download into Chirp, you will see
what is currently on the radio. Chirp will not modify this, except for
the individual memories you choose to modify (i.e., changing the alpha
tag on channel 24 will only modify channel 24). Now upload from Chirp
back to the radio and channel 24 will have the new alpha tag, but
every other detail--including masked memories, VFO frequency,
etc.--will be exactly the same as when you started.

Will you submit a bug report for this? Include your .img file and
debug.log so that I can make sure we're on the same page.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/issues/new

Tom KD7LXL

P.S. I modified the programming on a family member's VX6 a few weeks
ago and don't recall anything funny happening, but unfortunately I
don't still have access to that radio to test.