[chirp_users] Loading repeater info for Central Florida

Bry Carling
Fri Mar 8 14:13:19 PST 2013

Awesome... wish Grant lived near me (grin!)

On 8 Mar 2013 at 13:52, Grant Hopper wrote:

Amen to that Dan!

I just helped my father start using CHIRP. He had a lot of trouble on his older XP system.
Seemed that the driver for talking to his Kenwood handheld had 'gone wonky'. After cleaning
up the mess of other software issues on that machine, I was able to reinstall the driver and
everything started working together nicely. Interestingly, even with the 'wonky' driver, he was
able to use the Kenwood software (which I considered odd) so he wanted to blame it on
CHIRP. I used it as a teachable moment about drivers and the 'hardware device manager' (it
had the cute little yellow question mark next to the usb device for the HT....) Now he can use
CHIRP to program his HT, his new mobile, and his HF+ home station. He's a happy ham!

FWIW, I continue to be amazed at the incremental improvements in CHIRP. I'm using an
older build at home (if it's not broke 'don't fix it') but the latest one that Dad had installed had
some nice improvements. Thank you for continuing to support and improve such a universal
and useful tool for hams everywhere!

73,
Grant Hopper
KB7WSD

    The problem is, your system libraries (DLLs) could be out of whack for
    a million reasons, and it's really hard for us to diagnose it remotely
    for you. The applications you have that _do_ work properly are either
    targeting a much older system in order to be safe, or are shipping new
    libraries (compounding the ones you currently have on your system) to
    avoid any such issue. Unfortunately, I can't do that in chirp for
    various technical, legal and cost reasons. That said, I hope you will
    stick it out a bit longer and/or try another machine before you give up.

    A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
    Name: signature.asc
    Type: application/pgp-signature
    Size: 490 bytes
    Desc: not available

    End of chirp_users Digest, Vol 51, Issue 20