[chirp_users] Problems reading Yaesu FT-8900

John Randle
Tue Jun 4 19:31:34 PDT 2013

I am getting an error "Failed to read header (0)" when trying to use
CHIRP to read my FT-8900. I am using a USB cable acquired from
www.409shop.com and a Prolific 2.0.2.1 USB driver on an XP home system.
The cable is being properly detected by XP. The same XP home system is
being successfully used to read my BaoFeng UV-5R and my Yaesu VX-7R,
both using different USB cables but the same driver. For what ever it
may be worth, the RT Systems software (ADMS 2H) is also failing to read
the FT-8900, showing a "clone error" on the FT-8900 display when I use
the USB cable from www.409shop.com. However, I am able to read the
FT-8900 using a USB to Serial adapter and the serial cable that RT
systems supplied many years ago.
It would appear that my problem is the USB cable from www.409shop.com
... but I would appreciate a second or third opinion.
Thanks in advance..
--
John
73's de K9RSQ