[chirp_users] This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Richard Dillman
Tue Jun 4 18:55:03 PDT 2013

I'm happily using CHIRP daily-20130524 with my BF UV-5RA on my Win7 machine - or I was.

The original setup defaulted to COM12.  When trying to upload a new file today I noted the COM setting had changed to COM13 without my intervention and CHIRP complains:

"could not open port COM13: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified."

Device Manager shows the yellow exclamation triangle for "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM13)"

Properties says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Update driver reports that the driver is current.

Advanced Settings for COM13 reports that COM3 through COM12 are in use (thus the bump to COM13 I guess).

I'm not sure where to go from here so all advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

RD

Richard Dillman, WPE2VT
Chief Operator, Coast Station KSM