[chirp_users] "Could not open port COM5 (Error 2)”

Jim Unroe
Wed Jul 3 12:07:39 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Pete Hubbard <hphubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> New Chirp user: I have a Baofeng UV-5r+Plus;  Build # BFB293
>
> While attempting to load the new driver, I got a msg that “… Microsoft
> determined that the current driver is up-to-date.”
>
>  While trying to  "Download from radio", I get an error pop-up that says
> "Could not open port COM5 (Error 2)”.  My Device Manger says the cable is
> in COM 5.
>
> Any suggestions where I should investigate?
>
> Pete

> I sounds like you might be running Windows 7 or 8 and the driver got
updated. If you have a cable with an unauthorized copy of a Prolific chip
(many do), then you must use an older driver (v3.2.0.0). Visit the
Miklor.com website and follow the instructions on the "USB Cables and
Drivers" page to for instructions on how to determine if you have the
correct driver installed and how to install it if you don't.