[chirp_users] CHIRP and Yaesu VX-7R

Tom Hayward
Wed Jan 30 09:13:52 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM, John Randle <john.randle at tds.net> wrote:
> I have used CHIRP to download my VX-7R's configuration (previously
> created with VX-7 Commander) and noted that some of the radio-wide
> features were not displayed .. only the contents of the specific memory
> channels.  Is there any plan to address additional configuration items
> as is done for the UV-5R?  I also did not see a FMN or half deviation
> setting.

Chirp doesn't support every feature of every radio. As you've found,
memory editing is the priority. When trying to complete a radio driver
on a deadline, snooping out all the values for every setting just
takes too long (and IIRC, the VX7 driver was written before Chirp
support settings editing at all). You can see what features are
supported by each radio driver here:

http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/Model_Support.html

FMN/half-dev should be simple to add. Save two identical channels in
your radio, then save an .img. Then set one of those channels to FMN
and leave all the other settings exactly the same. Save the .img.
Create a new Feature issue and upload both of those images. I should
be able to spot the difference and update the VX7 driver to support
it--you can even try to spot the different yourself, by selecting both
channels and chooseing "diff raw memories". You can see how doing this
process for every value of every setting could get tedious!

Tom KD7LXL