[chirp_users] Prolific update and amateur pirates

Dean Gibson
Tue Feb 26 18:45:48 PST 2013

If the purchase was from Amazon or other *reputable* seller, they should
be able to take a return.  Not doing so for a counterfeit product,
exposes them to further legal liability.

And I wasn't talking about how it affects those of you who buy such
cables and *continue to use them* (they're not that expensive).  I was
talking about how users who do so, affect ME. Granted, the actions of
just one buyer doesn't affect me, but the collective actions do;  they
affect all of us.

Years ago, some of you may remember that if you mailed a bill payment,
and you forgot to put a stamp on it, the USPS would still deliver the
envelop, and the recipient would pay the postage due, and your bill
payment was posted on time.  Then, along came the "hippie" movement, and
some decided to make the "evil" utility companies always pay the
postage.  In short order, the USPS put a stop to that.  So, ever since,
if you really forget to apply sufficient postage, your payment is
returned to you.  Actions have consequences, and often, the actions of a
relatively small number affect all of the rest of us.

On one Yahoo! forum for an Icom amateur radio product, there is often a
(perhaps innocent) query about "where to download the service manual".
Usually there is a quick response about where to download it for free.
I used to object to the latter messages, noting that Icom sold the
manual at a reasonable price.  The price I paid for my replies, was that
I was moderated on the forum, but the person who provided the pirate web
site address was not.  One person even claimed that "we were owed it,
because amateur radio invented the cellular phone technology".

On another Yahoo! forum for a Yaesu amateur radio product, if someone
posts a message about where to download the service manual, he/she is
instantly banned by the moderator, and a warning is issued to the group
about such posts.

Before I was retired, I made my living writing and selling software.
Amateurs used to give these issues little thought. Recently there seems
to be more awareness of the issues of both software and hardware piracy,
which I am glad to see.  Nevertheless, in this thread there didn't seem
to be much appreciation of the issue, with most of the advice being how
to "get around" the tactics being used to prevent the cables from being
used, rather than "is this happening because I am doing something wrong?"

Sincerely, Dean