[chirp_users] 0.3.0 COM port order

Dean Gibson AE7Q
Tue Feb 12 14:59:24 PST 2013

Yes, I've done that many times, and as a result, Chirp is only reporting
the actual COM ports I have connected.

When I said, "I use COM ports w/ Chirp into the hundreds", I didn't mean
that I *have* hundreds of COM ports (I only have sixteen);  I meant that
they are *numbered* into the hundreds.  The numbers are (intentionally)
not sequential.

For one example, when using a Prolific USB-to-serial port converter,
moving the converter to another USB port also changes the COM port. My
Dell Windows 7 box came with 12 externally available USB ports. In order
to tell what USB port is connected to what COM port in Windows Device
Manager, I've renumbered the COM ports to correspond to the USB
port/device indexes.

As an aside, I also use Digi International's PortServer devices, that
support a remote serial port (anywhere in the world) over Ethernet.  I
use one in the garage to connect to my Icom IC-2820H, from my computer
in the house.  Yes, I have an Ethernet connection in almost every room
in my house, plus the garage.  It took a bit of crawling around in the
attic about ten years ago, but it has been worth it !!!

Digi also makes wireless versions.  You can pick up the wired ones (two
or four serial ports) on eBay for around $60.  An added benefit is that
I can connect to my (seven) radios from any computer in the house, once
I've installed Digi drivers on that computer.

Unlike some hardware manufacturers, Digi actively supports old devices
with firmware upgrades and drivers for new operating systems.  My two
Digi "PortServer" models were released around 2005, and the older one
had a new firmware release in 2011;  the newer one, in 2012.  Both have
Windows 7 64-bit driver support.

-- Dean