[chirp_users] UV5R

Jim Unroe
Fri Feb 1 03:03:00 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Ken G <kdubya at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Bret thanks for this. I didn’t know about that feature of the radio. Is
> there any criteria which would determine if they use CTCSS or DCS ?****
>
> ** **
>
> *
> Ken G*****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Ken,
Just scan for both. I don't know about where you are located, but looking
at radioreference.com for my area, the use of the older CTCSS is still more
likely to be used than DCS. There are also fewer CTCSS tones to scan than
DCS codes. So I would start by scanning CTCSS. If the odds are in your
favor and it is found to be CTCSS, you won't have to scan DCS at all.

Also remember that if you are trying to find the tone/code to access a
repeater, you have to listen/scan the frequency that the repeater users
transmit on to determine the tone/code. In this case I would do the
scanning in VFO/frequency mode listening to the frequency I would normally
transmit on.