[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R

Tony Langdon
Mon Dec 23 15:29:59 PST 2013

On 24/12/13 4:25 AM, George Gillespie wrote:
> Can you tell me how to program the Baofeng UV-5R HT

Just did one myself.  It's easy:

First, you need to install the correct drivers for your cable and OS
(Beware, there are a lot of fake Prolific chips out there, these need
special attention with the drivers - there is some documentation about
this on the CHIRP site).

Once setup, plug the cable into the radio and the computer, then turn
the radio on.

Start CHIRP, select from the Radio menu - Download from radio.  This
MUST be done first.  Select the COM port for the interface cable. The
download will start, and should be done within 30 seconds.  If you save
the file now, you have a working template you can edit any time without
needing to download from the radio first (note this only works for that
specific radio!).

Now, you can manually enter the programming information and radio
settings.  Alternatively, you can export the memory data to a CSV file,
and edit it in Excel, or if you have frequency data from another source
(for example, the WIA here in Australia provides CHIRP compatible CSV
data for Australian repeaters).

If you've created/edited your memory data outside CHIRP, now is the time
to import it back.  Check that the data appears correctly in CHIRP,
manually edit if necessary.  Also double check the radio settings -
there's a lot of useful options to tweak here.  When you're satisfied,
save the radio's configuration, so you can make future edits.

When all is ready, make sure the radio is connected properly to the
computer and switched on.  Select "Upload to Radio" from the Radio menu,
then select the correct COM port.  The upload should be done within 30
seconds.

Enjoy! :)

Just programmed a UV-5R for a friend, worked a treat, saved a LOT of
manually poking buttons.  Next project, to come up with a set of common
memory data for all of my computer programmable radios, so I can
maintain a master spreadsheet and import the data into all of my radios.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com