[chirp_users] Iphone

Tom Hayward
Wed Aug 7 15:22:23 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Josef Zeevi <josef at zeevi.org> wrote:
> ….a minor clarification – there is a serial port available on the iPhone –
> it’s accessed via the headset connector. An example is the “Square-D” card
> swipe mechanism. Getting to that interface isn’t directly simple, as the
> developer needs to be part of Apple’s MiFi program (the name may have
> changed) and commit to developing hardware for it – something unlikely in
> the chirp community, plus the volumes aren’t necessarily going to be very
> high.

I was under the impression those Square readers used an audio modem,
presumably Manchester encoded. I'm actually developing a similar audio
modem product at work right now.

It is my understanding that the MFi program is only required for
accessories using the dock connector, not the audio jack.

If you could tell me more about serial on the audio connector I would
really appreciate it.

Tom KD7LXL