[chirp_users] Iphone

Josef Zeevi
Wed Aug 7 14:45:53 PDT 2013

I could be all wet, but….

….a minor clarification – there is a serial port available on the iPhone – it’s accessed via the headset connector. An example is the “Square-D” card swipe mechanism. Getting to that interface isn’t directly simple, as the developer needs to be part of Apple’s MiFi program (the name may have changed) and commit to developing hardware for it – something unlikely in the chirp community, plus the volumes aren’t necessarily going to be very high.

Of course, making CHIRP run on iOS would be a port that would have numerous challenges to make work. J That alone is likely the biggest reason that it won’t happen soon – although, I’m given to understand there’s a veritable ARMY of young, bored iOS hacks waiting to do anything they can on the iDevice-of-your-choice. J

From: Dennis Smith [mailto:m1dlguk at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:39 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Iphone

The newer Ubuntu phones and tablets due soon are a little more promising, but still unlikely.

Dennis Smith

M1DLG

On 7 August 2013 19:23, Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Davecenturytel <DWB2808 at centurytel.net> wrote:
> Is there any chance of programming my boefeng uv5r radio using my Iphone 4?
> I am thinking of the times that we need the radios to operate during a
> disaster of some kind. We need to have the ability to program these radios
> quickly and all the same so our teams can work together.
> 73
> KD0TUN
> Dave

No, this isn't possible at the moment. Here are some reasons why:

1. The UV5R requires a serial port for programming. Your iPhone
doesn't have a serial port. Some people get around this with computers
with USB-serial cables. Your iPhone doesn't have a USB port either,
nor the USB-serial drivers.
2. Your iPhone can't run Chirp. Chirp will run on any system that will
run Python and PyGTK. Your iPhone cannot run Python and PyGTK.

Android is a little more promising. My Android phone has a USB OTG
port which I have used successfully with a USB-serial adapter.
However, this was with non-open code, so it is not a solution for
Chirp. There are builds of Python for Android, but will likely never
be PyGTK for Android. PyGTK is not a good match for touchscreens, so
porting it to Android would be silly. At least half of Chirp's code
would need to be rewritten to support Android.

Tom KD7LXL

Dennis Smith

M1DLG