[chirp_users] FTDI based USB cables.

Harrison Cooper
Fri Sep 28 15:14:32 PDT 2012

FWIW, I purchased my cable on Ebay item #290761244715

It's a prolific chipset, no issues at all with the driver or the dual jack connector for the UV-5R radio

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Robert Terzi
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 3:56 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: [chirp_users] FTDI based USB cables.

On 9/28/2012 5:12 PM, Tom Hayward wrote:>
> It sounds to me like you got bit by the Prolific drivers and possibly
> counterfeit Prolific chips (seems to be about 90% of the topics on
> this mailing list).

Unfortunately, it seems like it's almost every ham group that I read has this on-going saga.

In case it helps any one else, Valley Enterprises is in the process of converting all the cables they sell to be FTDI based.  Their site generally mentions FTDI and Windows 7 in the description of the cable so you can tell what you are ordering.  They are also available through Amazon.

I added a link to Chirp's Cable Guide on the Wiki:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide