[chirp_users] Help needed, can't write to Yaesu FT-60

Robert Terzi
Fri Sep 28 14:41:40 PDT 2012

On 9/28/2012 4:58 PM, chirp.cordless at xoxy.net wrote:> Update 9/28/12:
> Systems cable. I was able to write to both radios on the first attempt with each.

Glad to hear things are working for you.  Basically using an FTDI based cable
solved your problem.

The RT Systems cables I've seen are made with FTDI chips.  However they
install a custom USB Vendor ID and Product ID (VID & PID) on them, so they
aren't recognized by the generic FTDI virtual com port drivers.

On windows this gives them the advantage that their software is reliably
able to find their cable.The user doesn't have to figure out whatcom port
got assigned.  The disadvantage for the user is that other software like CHIRP
work with the cable because it doesn't create a COM port.

I believe the Mac driver you installed, is the same FTDI serial driverjust
with the RT Systems VID and PID instead of the generic ones.

There is a utility provided by FTDI, at least for windows that will let you
change the VID/PID on the chip.So you can set it back to the FTDI default
and not worry about needing a special driver if you are ever so inclined.
(The downside is you won't be able to use the RT software on windows since it
will only work with their cable with the custom VID/PID (and the ftdi direct driver).
This was discussed on this list 6 months to a year ago.)