[chirp_users] Help needed, can't write to Yaesu FT-60

Tom Hayward
Fri Sep 28 14:12:47 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM,  <chirp.cordless at xoxy.net> wrote:
> So, I've got a working solution. I might try troubleshooting my Prolific cables,
> but that has lost a great deal of its urgency and interest...
> It's possible that RT Systems won't keep their driver up to date for OSX 10.9
> or 10.10, but I should have a working solution for a couple of years at least.
> If I'm still alive and still care when I can't still at least boot to 10.8 from my
> external clone backup, I'll deal with it then.
>
> FWIW, neither I nor my micrometer can see any significant physical difference
> between the 3.5mm 4-conductor radio plugs on the RT cable vice the
> Kawamall / eBay cables. I'm guessing the most likely issue is bad Prolific
> chips or the assembly/connections to them, then driver issues, with a probably
> pretty small chance it's a Chirp problem.
>
> Thanks for all the support. I hope my experience will help someone else
> navigate this a little more surely.
>
> -dan

Glad you got it working!

It sounds to me like you got bit by the Prolific drivers and possibly
counterfeit Prolific chips (seems to be about 90% of the topics on
this mailing list). Considering both your Kawamall cables exhibited
the same symptoms, I doubt it was a manufacturing anomaly.

FWIW, I buy the serial version of cables for all my radios. This way I
can use my proven FTDI USB-serial cable with all of them. Having just
one type of USB cable means I only need one driver (serial cables
don't need drivers). This means I don't have to mess with drivers when
I buy a new cable.

Tom KD7LXL