[chirp_users] Please post

Guy Teague
Mon Sep 17 21:38:28 PDT 2012

hi folks:

off work today and thought i'd give this mac/chirp/driver thing another go.
about a month ago i got an emf meter that does logging to a pc and it also
uses the prolific pl2303 driver and the company that sold the radio
(tenmars) offered a mac driver in a .dmg package, meaning no command line
stuff if the installer works right.

after doing all the research trying to get this working i got the idea that
the crux of the problem is that these radio manufacturers pirated some
chips or code to put into the cables and prolific retaliated (dumbasses,
say i) by making their drivers not work with the pirated chips. sort of
like what panasonic tried to do by modifying their firmware to reject
3rd-party batteries--yeah, that got 'em so _great_ pr! </sarcasm>

so the solution for the radios seems to be to find a prolific driver that
is older than the retaliation code and install it. why i'm having 100%
success windows and not mac if this is the sole reason for problems is
unclear--is it harder on the mac side to find an older driver and share it
with others? i don't know.

so anyway, i decided to try the driver this meter company recommended.
unfortunately i can't link directly to the driver--that would be too easy
by far. the main page is:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/CustomerLogin.aspxand then you have to
hit the support tab, then login using guest/guest.
then you can get to the driver page and select the mac driver that matches
your os version. i'm using 10.7.4 (lion).

in any event, now when i go into mac/chirp and select /download from radio/
i now have 3 pl2303 drivers to select from and this newest one doesn't even
have 2303 in the name, it just says something like 'cu...' well, let me go
see ...

... it says /dev/cu.usbserial. the first download from the uv5r worked fine
and i wanted to copy channels from a uv6d into the uv5r so i switched the
cable over and downloaded from the uv6d into a chirp tab--this also worked
fine. i then figured out how to copy the channels from the 6d into the 5r
window and tried to upload to the uv5r, but this operation failed again and
again. i tried wiggling the cable, off/on, replugging usb, clearing caches.
but then i remembered something i'd read somewhere and changed the uv5r
from channel mode (where it had been all the time) to vfo mode. bambangboom
and bobs your uncle!

so i much appreciate all the help and tips and info you guys gave me and i
have no idea why i couldn't get anything to work until now. now i have some
more hours of research ahead of me to figure out how to uninstall the other
pl2303 drivers that are loaded and not working. it can't be good to have 3
drivers loaded into kext all for the same thing.

again, thanks to all!

oh, and if anyone who is running 10.7.4 needs this specific driver pkg i'll
be more than happy to zip up the .dmg file and email it to them if their
gateway will accept a 5mb file email attachment.

/guy (73 de kg5vt)