[chirp_users] Icom ID-880H Macintosh Interconnectivity

Mike Hannibal
Sat Sep 15 01:25:17 PDT 2012

>> 1. Can you use the Icom OPC-1529R cable with Chirp and a USB-serial
>>    adapter?
>
> Yep, should be able to.

Thanks for the response Dan.

OK I've tried both the OPC-1529R with the Belkin adaptor and the OPC478UC - the USB cable with absolutely no luck. Both these cables are recommended by ICOM for the ID-880H, but ICOM only supply drivers for Windows.

I downloaded the Prolific driver which they say works with Mac OS 10.8 ...and I can't get it to load. I then downloaded the Netherlands driver (osx-pl2303.kext) and I've got it loaded and a serial port available.

However when I choose "Download from Radio" Chirp simply says "Cloning" very briefly and then "An error has occurred. Unexpected response from radio"

Important to note that the serial port does not show up in Network Prefs but when I issue kextstat I get this back: 131    0 0xffffff7f81eb6000 0xb000     0xb000     nl.bjaelectronics.driver.PL2303 (1.0.0d1) <122 33 5 4 3>

So it's loaded.

I'd really appreciate it if there is anyone out there using Mac OS 10.8.1 and ID-880H and Chirp if they could tell me just exactly what they do to get it to work (it's not _that_ unusual a combination ;)).  I really don't want to have to go the whole memory hogging VMWare route.

Kind regards
Mike
VK3ZMH