[chirp_users] Please post

Guy Teague
Thu Sep 13 15:11:59 PDT 2012

yes, i'm running 10.7.4 on the latest imac.

and the mac version of chirp does not seem to have the /file/open stock
config and the /radio/import stock config modules although i'll be the
first to admit they are non-essential, although very useful in setting up a
new radio.

it seems to be a mixed bag as to whether it works or not for any particular
person. for every person on the baofeng_uv5r list who has it working on mac
there is another like me for whom it only works sporadically. so far no one
who has it working has enough unix savvy to pass along the pertinent info
so that i can compare my system against theirs, such as the kextstat i
posted.

my driver is loaded by evidence of the kextstat command and i can access
the driver using zterm and scrt and i get the driver in the dropdown menu
when trying to upload/download the radio.

the instructions that accompany the driver at the link you posted fail
towards the end. first, for some reason (maybe it doesn't matter to him) he
fails to note that the kext 'file' is not really a file, it's a package.
thus it appears in the terminal as a folder and none of the commands he
lists really match up because a folder shows a trailing '/':

Installing the kext file can be done in a few easy steps:
download and extract
cd /path/to/osx-pl2303.kext
cp -R osx-pl2303.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
next you need to fix permissions and execute bits:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 osx-pl2303.kext
chown -R root:wheel osx-pl2303.kext
cd /System/Library/Extensions
kextload ./osx-pl2303.kext
kextcache -system-cache

these commands fail at the 'kextload' command:

*roma:Extensions sysop$ kextload ./osx-pl2303.kext*
*/System/Library/Extensions/osx-pl2303.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext)
not privileged; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).*

here's the kextlog entry:

*Sep 13 16:28:32 roma kernel[0]:
nl_bjaelectronics_driver_PL2303(0xffffff803ff47000)::configureDevice -
unable to open device for configuration *

and that's where i get stuck not wanting to invest 4 hours in poring
through system logs or learning how to use kextutil and working with kext
files at all is not for the faint of heart and even i know enough not to
push it to far. just one errant kext file can brick your osx system if
things go wrong.

and if you look in the comments following the link at the page you posted
you'll see references to the 'nl ...' file that is showing on my system. i
think this is because the prolific driver (which all this is based on) is
in the netherlands and the 'nl ...' is the name of the actual driver in the
'package'

so if anyone can tell me why 'kextload' doesn't work on my particular
system, i might be able to get a little further along in troubleshooting
this. but my troubleshooting table goes like this so far:

1) since this works every once in awhile, the driver or kext file is at
least loaded and (sometimes) working.
2) i agree from long experience that seemingly random or erratic success
would usually indicate a short or flaky cable or hardware. but the fact
that it works perfectly with two radios and two cable using a windows7
emulator on the mac using the exact same usb port indicates (to me at
least) the problem is with the mac software--at least as it runs on my
particular system.

/guy (73 de kg5vt)