[chirp_users] Please post

Tom Hayward
Thu Sep 13 14:00:27 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Guy Teague <accts at gtweb.org> wrote:
> perhaps you missed the part where i said chirp works flawlessly using
> windows7 on vmware running on the _same_ mac using _exactly the same_
> hardware and usb port. and my wouxun cable came from an official
> wouxun dealer.

That's exactly how I knew it was a driver problem. The Chirp code is
exactly the same on Windows and OS X, so that's not a factor. You say
the USB port is the same, so it's not the port. Must be the driver. I
believe the official Wouxun cable contains a counterfeit PL2303 chip.
Prolific has crippled their drivers so that only genuine Prolific
chips work. When you buy cheap Chinese radios, they may come with some
counterfeit chips. That's the cost of buying the cheapest thing
available.

> now i won't deny that perhaps i've gotten ahold of the wrong driver or
> haven't gotten it installed correctly on the mac. i went to at least a
> dozen, maybe two dozen, websites and tried everything i could find. if
> there was an authoritative source that had actual links to actual
> files that actually worked that might help. any links you can find
> point to pages where you have to mount new searches and choose between
> multiple options to the point where you end up completely confused.
> don't get me wrong--i am a grizzled veteran of such unix/linux
> scavenger hunts for drivers and software--it's a major factor in
> keeping linux off desktops, imo.

There's no authoritative source because there's no authority for
counterfeit chips!

FYI, Linux desktops come preinstalled with virtually every driver
available. Even these counterfeit chips work great. I just installed
Windows 7 for the first time last weekend and it was a 3+ hour ordeal
trying to catch up on all the updates and install the drivers. A moden
Linux desktop install is 5-10 minutes and when it's done you'll be
completely up to date with all drivers installed and working.

> if you are actually able to help instead of trying to suppress
> constructive critcism, here is the output of my kextstat command:
>
> 161    0 0xffffff7f809bd000 0xb000     0xb000
> nl.bjaelectronics.driver.PL2303 (1.0.0d1) <115 31 5 4 3>
>
> is that the right driver?
>
> /guy (73 de kg5vt)

Those numbers just looks like gibberish to me (I'm sure they do to you
too!). I've never heard of bjaelectronics. I recommend you uninstall
that driver and try the one that Jay suggested in a previous message.

Tom KD7LXL